Guest Bathroom (First) Aid

Our guest bathroom has been lacking in the style department (it was the first room we painted when we moved in 3 years ago), so I’ve been poking around Pinterest and my favorite blogs lately, looking for some inspiring images to get a mini-bathroom makeover started.

I originally came across this bathroom image on the blog High Gloss Blue and fell in love with the graphic pattern and bold color scheme!  We don’t typically go as high-contrast as red, white and black around here, but it’s the guest bath – why not have a little fun?

Since we’re not exactly going to be creating patterns with tile in this room (we’re not ready to tackle more than a surface sprucing), I started looking for ways to add a fun graphic red and white pop to our bathroom.

Of course, that red cross pattern immediately made me think of a First Aid kit, and I realized a sturdy First Aid tin would be a great little display item for on the countertop – and useful to boot.  In fact, if I found one big enough, I could use it as a guest kit of sorts for all those items guests might need when they come to stay – toothpaste, a spare toothbrush, Q-tips, Bandaids, a comb, etc.

Further searching on Pinterest resulted in lots of pretty images of First Aid kits, but not many links to where I could find one for less than $20.

Since we already have all the supplies to put in a First Kit in our medicine cabinet, all I really needed was a cute tin.  I realized I could probably make one myself, so I kept my eyes open for a sturdy tin while out and about.

On a trip to the thrift store last week, I found this cute holiday tin for 50 cents.  I loved the size and the fact that it was already mostly red and in good shape.

Happy Holidays Tin

After a good cleaning to get rid of who-knows-how-old cookie crumbs, it was ready for action.

Needs a Cleaning

Since the base of my tin was already red, I stratigically taped off the top rim and two red crosses – one on the lid and one on the base of the can where I wouldn’t have any gold lettering in the design.

Taped Tin

Then I got out the spray paint.  My go-to white spray paint is Rustoleum’s Gloss White, and I always have a can or two on hand.  After spraying the can, the trickiest part of this entire project was removing the tape before the spray paint had dried.  I took a pair of tweezers and pulled up from the center of the top piece of tape (the one forming the top layer of the red cross).  Very carefully, I pulled up all the tape and then let the can dry overnight.

Painted Tin

In the morning, I was thrilled to discover the paint was fully dry and my 50 cent can was now a fun bathroom accessory!

First Aid Tin Open

The edges of the crosses were just the teeniest bit fuzzy, but I was able to clean them up a bit with my fingernail after the paint was dry.

Angle First Aid Tin

I love how clean and graphic this project turned out and the little surprise red rim guests will see when they open up this kit.

Angle First Aid Tin Open

I’ve been gathering supplies for our new guest kit lately and I think they will all fit in the can!  Once we get started on the rest of the bathroom makeover, it will be fun to see this kit on the vanity.

First Aid Tin Open

So what do you think of our easy-peasy project?  I love how it turned out, but we might need help thinking of everything that needs to go in this kit, so help us out.  What are the top bathroom items you provide to your guests?  As a guest, what bathroom items could you not live without?

This entry was posted in Before and After, guest bathroom, Paint and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Guest Bathroom (First) Aid

1. Very cute!! I agree it’s a great idea to give your guests the “hotel effect” when they stay and give them access to all the goodies they may have forgotten – we use a cute wire basket for supplies. The tin turned out great, what a fun idea to make your own!

2. nikki says:

I love the first aid can! Seriously, I would have never thought of that, and it was so easy! My brain just isn’t wired to be crafty. I started following your blog after I found your bathroom curtain tutorial. You are so creative!

That is so adorable! And I love having a few things there for guests just in case they need them. I need a place to store them though cause I always just leave them on the counter, haha.

4. Nora says:

So cute! I love it!!

5. I love it! So cute! I think it doesn’t really matter what you fill it up with. For the most part, guests tend to bring their own bathroom supplies, so whatever you provide is an added hospitable gesture.

6. Kim says:

I LOVE it!! It turned out so cute! I have an old lunch box that I am wanting to turn into a first aid kit for my son…..now I can’t wait to get started!!

7. Meredith says:

Very cute! Love the idea and it was so easy!

8. Sarah says:

I love this! I think I’m going to have to make one myself!

that looks awesome! too cute and that tin was too perfect!

10. Kirche says:

I love this idea, and you did a great job! How cute! You could also add a little travel size bottle of mouthwash, shampoo, and maybe a small packet of tissues.

11. Angela says:

You are a busy, busy girl, so cute!

12. Meridith,

This is adorable!! You’re oh so clever! Great job!

13. Erin says:

Definitely floss! It’s always something I forget to pack and end up needing. The tin looks great!

14. Kath says:

I love this idea and want to make one too! Thanks for sharing this idea.

15. Cahhhuuuute! I love that you used the red as the background. So clever!

Such a great Idea!!

17. Janet Lawson says:

Meredith that is so clever..I love it..Ya did good..LOL
    Janet

18. Desiree says:

Really, really cute idea for guests and kids bathrooms!

Thanks,
    Desiree

19. Cheryl says:

ah, you have inspired me yet again. Love this project. I am in the middle of reorganizing my linen closet in my bathroom. It’s a big one, with deep cabinets and I wanted to house all my first aid stuff. This is a sweet project and I have lotsa different size tins on hand.
    Now, for guests, I usually leave some new toothbrushes, toothpaste, travel shampoo, conditioner, travel lotion and travel deodorant. These are typically the staples we all tend to forget one time or another.

20. OK, I love the inspiration image! And that was so clever to tape off the red and paint it white… Much more of a statement piece than a tiny tin, I think. Nice work!

21. Jenny B. says:

It turned out great! I never would have thought to start with a red can, tape off the crosses, and spray paint it white. I wasn’t even sure where you were going with it as I was reading the post! The end result is so cool! Guest necessities… The one thing I almost always need (and often forget) when I’m a guest is Q-tips. And, I’m a Q-tip snob… I don’t like the store brands. Give me the “real” Q-tips! :) There are cool plastic pre-loaded travel packs in the toiletry section at Walmart that might fit nicely in the can.

22. Stephanie says:

Adorable idea!! And what an awesome find at the thrift store! I can’t believe how just a little paint can make a boring cookie tin sooo cute!!!