Heardmont History: The Dining Room

This is part of a little series called Heardmont History.  We’re digging back through our archives and highlighting some projects we did before starting “Welcome to Heardmont.” Hope you enjoy!

So far you’ve seen our hallway and kitchen, and today it’s time to see the dining room! Here’s what the dining room looked like the day we bought the house.  Look at how tiny and dark that room was (and how high they hung that light fixture – ha!).

A view from the living room – there’s the infamous wall we destroyed beyond the dining room light.

Speaking of which, here’s another shot of the destruction.

Next it was ceiling scraping time.  Unlike in the kitchen, this time around it was only lil’ ole me doing the scraping.

8 hours later, this is what the ceiling looked like.

And, this is what I looked like!  Haha, I don’t look very happy.  Those marks on my legs are from our aluminum ladder. They took a surprisingly long time to wash off!

It didn’t take me long once the ceiling was painted to pick a paint color for the walls and break out the roller and paint tray!  This is the darkest color we’ve ever used and I still like it.

Here’s the division between our kitchen and dining room.  The kitchen was painted a shade lighter on the paint chip for flow and a bit of definition.

Once we had the bones of the room done, it was time to replace our college dining set. We picked up our table and chairs for $25 at a yard sale, and while it served its purpose for many a shrimp-boil and chili-cookoff, it was time to move on.

Our new dark stained square table fits the dining room perfectly.  The leaf for this bad boy is about 2 feet wide, meaning we can seat 8-10 people comfortably now. :D

Ahhh, finally a decent photo!  After installing our new light fixture and can lights, hanging our sheet curtains, and adding the world travel map and a few accessories, here’s our dining room now!

For more photos of our dining room, check out our recent dining room reveal.  Future plans for this space include new floors and baseboards, and that’s pretty much it! I guess you could say this is the most finished room in our house. :)

Gratuitous “accomplishments” photo:

Thanks for visiting and stay tuned for more Heardmont History later this week.

Linking to:
The DIY Show Off

This entry was posted in Before and After, dining room, Heardmont History and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Heardmont History: The Dining Room

You know this is Awesome.Super job.. Love you covered head to toe in dirt.

2. Very nicely done Meredith! The new table looks fabulous in there!

3. You have done so much work! It looks so nice now. I’m sure the previous owners wouldn’t even recognize the place anymore!

4. Lisa says:

You guys did a awesome job! Love all the pictures! Visiting from Dittle Dattle!

5. Casey says:

I think it’s about time for another shrimp boil!!

6. Adele says:

Great as it all looks in the photos, I must say that the real room looks even more fabulous. Great work!!

7. LOVE the colors!!! Great transformation! I esp. love the light fixture. I hope you’ll stop by my linky party this weekend :)

8. Pingback: Heardmont History: The Front Door | Welcome to Heardmont

9. Brook says:

Gorgeous!! The curtains are super cute and I love the paint color. Great job!

10. ashleyD says:

after you scraped the ceiling did you only have to paint it? i’ve head stories of having to go back and redo drywall and much worse things. we really want to scrape our ceilings and if it’s just a matter of paint i’m ready to do it now, but i’m scared of more work than the pain of scraping. any advice would help! thanks!

Hey Ashley,
      Thanks for the question! Yep, all we did was squirt a small section of the ceiling with water, let it sit for a minute, and scrape off the popcorn with a 4″ wide putty knife. Once it was all off, I quickly spackeled a few areas that would obviously show through paint (where we’d nicked the ceiling or the texture was still rough) – then we primed (used KILZ2) and painted (used Valspar white ceiling paint). Truth be told, I could have done a more thorough job smoothing out the ceiling with spackel, but I’d say the ceilings are 95% smooth and a million times better than popcorn!

11. Pingback: Friday Gratitude and Upcoming Projects | Welcome to Heardmont

12. Pingback: Welcome to Heardmont House Tour | Welcome to Heardmont

13. Pingback: Stirring Up Dust | Welcome to Heardmont

14. Lori Hood says:

I love this dining room! It’s so warm and welcoming. Love the colors you chose, the can lights, just everything! May I steal the map idea? It’s brilliant!

15. Pingback: The Best of 2011 at Welcome to Heardmont | Welcome to Heardmont