Creating a Sunburst Mirror

You might recognize this photo from the reveal of our new entry credenza.

Were you curious about what I was planning with this mess? Some of you have probably seen this tutorial on other blogs, but here is my version of the Target mirror + BBQ skewer sunburst!

I’ve been loving all the sunburst mirrors I’ve seen for sale lately, but being more of a DIY lady myself, I was inspired by Dwellings by Devore and Isabella & Max Rooms to make my own.

Lots of hot glue and about 120 skewers later …

and I ended up with this!

I loved the finish Mrs. Devore used so much, that I just had to grab some gold metallic spray paint (and be a total copy cat). ;)

I started by spraying the back of the mirror.  I was amazed at how quickly this spray paint dried.  Ready to flip in 10-15 minutes!

Ready for the finished result?  Here she is!

Check out that mirror/ lamp/ credenza combo – Bllliiiiiiing!

I still need to accessorize this table a bit, but first I want to thank Mrs. Devore and Janell at Isabella & Max Rooms so much for the mirror inspiration!  Bloggers rock :)

P.S. Linking up to Frugal Friday at the Shabby Nest, Metamorphosis Monday, Showoff Sunday at House of Thrifty Decor, The DIY Showoff Project ParadeRemodelaholic’s Anonymous and Sawdust and Paper Scraps

This entry was posted in Crafts, entryway, Home Decor and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Creating a Sunburst Mirror

1. Janell Beals says:

Thanks for the shout out and YOUR mirror rocks!! Fabulous job, I wish I sold those Target mirrors, several people have now used them to make these DIY sunburst mirrors!! The gold finish looks great with the lamp, enjoy…Janell

2. Wow!!!! That is gorgeous and genius!!! I’m so impressed!

3. Ray* says:

This is so creative! I love what you did with this mirror. Your blog is great and you do nice work!

4. That turned out fantastic! Great job!

5. Wow, that looks absolutely amazing!

6. Laurie says:

I never get tired of seeing these mirrors! Yours turned out incredible!!

7. Carrie says:

BEAUTIFUL! And cheap. My two favorite things. ;-)

8. kj says:

This project made me chuckle — I kept thinking about the pointed end of those skewers! I know I’d walk away with at least an injury or two.

Awesome idea. And what steady hands you have!

9. Michelle says:

I found you over on remodelholic and enjoying looking around your blog :) You are so creative who would’ve thought what some sticks and spraycan can do and your right it looks great with your restored buffett.

10. How beautiful! You convinced me, I’m hopping on the DIY sunburst mirror trend!

11. And darn it, my Target is out of those mirrors! Will have to try and hit up a different Target tomorrow. Thanks for all your advice on the lights too!!

12. Pingback: Tree Tweaking | Welcome to Heardmont

13. Pingback: Spiegelsonnen Trend - Augenpralinen - kreativ und individuell Wohnen und Einrichten

14. Holly Austin says:

This is awesome, I’m definitely making one for myself! One question, where did you get your mirror?

15. Pingback: Yep, we’re still painting trim | Welcome to Heardmont

16. Pingback: DIY #3: Sunburst Mirror « homemade brownie

17. Meredith – It’s gorgeous! My post worked – I not only saw so many beautiful DIY sunbursts, the sun shined all day! You did a fantastic job. I still haven’t made one but after today, I don’t think I can put it off. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity. Gold is my new favorite color! :)

Take care!

18. Pingback: Hot Tip: Round Mirrors for DIY Sunbursts | Welcome to Heardmont

19. Anna says:

Hi, love your mirror, thanks for the tutorial. Wanted to let you know I featured it on my blog, seemommymake.blogspot.com.

Thanks!!

20. Pingback: Welcome to Heardmont House Tour | Welcome to Heardmont

21. ms. michelle says:

I LOVE this. I have always wanted a starbust clock or mirror – this is perfect. Did you cover the mirror with foil when you were painting? I couldn’t tell.

Hey Michelle,
      When I was painting that sunburst mirror, I just taped a circle of newspaper to it with painter’s tape. It wasn’t perfect, but if you get a bit of paint on the mirror itself, you can always just scrape it off. :)

22. Pingback: Tutorial: Make Your Own Thread Holder | Welcome to Heardmont

23. Laura says:

I used your Sunburst Mirror as inspiration for mine! Thanks so much!!